Monday, August 17, 2015

Caitlyn coming out

We've all heard about Caitlin Jenner's coming out.  She was previously known as the world class Olympic athlete, Bruce Jenner.  Then she maintained her fame through the expert management of her former wife, and mother of two of her children, Kris Kardashian.

Those of us who have loved ones who are transgender, or those whose natal bodies do not agree with their gender already know the bravery it took for Cait to transition.  Most of us have no idea about the additional courage required to transition so incredibly publicly. I for one applaud that courage. Admittedly, however, my feelings are mixed regarding her show I am Cait.

I've watched portions of 2 shows. The first was excruciatingly disappointing and somewhat embarrassing as she, or her producers, steered her conversation from the heartbreak of homeless transgender teens to a discussion of her designer handbag. This evening's episode seems more heartfelt and yet, as the mother of a young woman who had to fight her way to happiness, I'm still concerned.

She has bravely elected to carry the torch to illuminate some of what is the reality of the transgender person. But is her story really the story that the transgender community wants told?  I really don't know-I am not transgender and it would be arrogant for me to speak for that community.  But I've made it my business to try to anticipate how people will react for my daughter's sake, for her safety and for her happiness. Granted, my attempt at anticipating the reactions of others constitutes only an illusion of control I'd like to believe I have; this allows me to believe I can keep my daughter safe.  That being said, I'm wondering if Cait's wealthy approach to coming out of the closet will only serve to alienate people.

Reality shows are often not remotely realistic.  Cait's show, purported to be a depiction of her reality of what it is to be transgender in America, is not most people's reality; this is largely because of her fame, her wealth, her resources and her producers.  Thankfully, she is honest about her struggles and yet, her struggles are packaged in glam in this show; will any viewer ever really "get"what the struggles are really like, simply by viewing her show?

I'm open to keeping my mind open…but admit to having reservations.  Either way, yeah, I say that the lady's got courage.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps Cait's interpretation of the big issues ARE (pretty) typical of the majority of transitioning trans folks and it is (in fact) your daughter and her experience/issue (and hence the filter through which you view trans issues) that are different and don't seem to line up?

    Just another perspective for you to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, your perspective is definitely worth ruminating on. However, my observations were based on comments Cait had made in her interview with Diane Sawyer where she talked about having resources and a platform that most people (transgender or not) don't have and using it to help the transgender community specifically. So, when she began speaking of homeless transgender youth, I was pretty excited because that was something that haunted both Bulldog and me as DJ went through her process. We wondered at how people without the resources our family had managed to handle a process that could be financially demanding. Just changing a person's wardrobe alone can be financially demanding, forget hormone prescriptions and the requisite dr. appointments that go with it for those that desire them. Surgery is likely out of reach of many people, again, if they desire it. My filter was less about my daughter's experience and more about the experiences that I know many people face. So yes, my filter was firmly in place, and yes, I was disappointed when Cait began an important discussion about homeless transgender teens only to abruptly switch to a discussion about her Versace handbag. On the one hand, if fashion is her focus, I understand how that would be so, given her entire life of not being "permitted" to dress as her true gender might direct her; but to focus on the Versace aspect, knowing that she was likely carrying a handbag that was obscenely expensive, somehow seemed gauche at best, and insensitive and shallow, at worst.

    I appreciate your comments because it's important for me (and all of us perhaps?) to be mindful of our propensity to view any topic through a filter...which can serve to keep us from seeing the entire picture. Thanks Rachel!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Gauche" huh?.... I suppose some people might describe it that way, that's probably not how I feel about it personally, but that really doesn't matter, to each their own.

    best wishes to you all

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will add that I find it interesting how quickly they managed to get "smart" trannies on to the show with Jennifer Boylan and Jen Richards, and also that it is interesting for me to observe the dynamic between Cait and the rest of the "trans" crew, and Rhonda and Courtney.

    Keep in mind Rhonda and Courtney are "normal" females, they have always been female, which is what Cait said (in the Dianne Swayer interview), she has always been, for all intents and purposes.

    I don't know about you, but as someone who (did) believe/d herself to be female from first self realisation, I did/do observe my peers.

    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete