Sunday, September 9, 2012

For Alexander and his mom...

DJ and I are hangin' out watching "Friends" reruns.  Both of us tend to be night owls lately.  Last night she decided to disprove Curry's Paradox.  Look it up on Google because I am too geometrically-challenged to be able to explain what Curry's Paradox is.  Luckily for me, it involved a picture!  Suffice it to say she was pulling out colored pencils, graph paper and a ruler last night at 11:30 to start disproving the paradox.  Bulldog asked her why;  was it competition or something?  It's difficult for both Bulldog and me to understand why anyone would think it's fun to use not one but two different mathematical formulas to disprove the paradox just for "the fun of it" but we're not going to knock it.  It sure as hell beats video games.

Have I mentioned before that I have no idea where she came from?  Our genes don't indicate that our offspring would have such qualities.  Sarcasm, shortness of stature, ability to spread our toes-these are our genetic gifts.  DJ missed out on pretty much all of those and ended up with freakishly good abilities that require both the right brain and the left brain.

Today we were returning from running some errands and DJ informed me that she gets carsick when the sun gets in her eyes.  I suggested she get her sunglasses out of her purse.  She said, "Oh, here they are."  She turns to show me these goofball kelly green sunglasses with the lenses popped out.  We both start laughing hysterically.  How lucky am I to end up with this lovable goofball of a daughter?  I'm so glad she's DJ-our relationship is only what a mother can have with a daughter.

Don't get me wrong-I treasure my relationships with Romeo and Goodwrench.  They are GREAT people and great sons.  But DJ and I relate the way only two women can.  Sometimes Bulldog just shakes his head at our antics but I don't think he minds being outnumbered too terribly.  She can poke at him like no one else can and he eats it up.  I'll bet he never would have foreseen this when DJ first came out to us.

I heard from a young man whose mom is trying to be supportive of his coming out as her son.  I hope he understands what a good start that is.  That's where we were nearly two and half years ago.  It's night and day coming from where we were to where we are.  Wanting to try, wanting to be supportive is more than half the battle.  So if Alexander's mom is reading-hang in there.  As long as you keep wanting to be there for your son, as long as you're willing to try, to call him by his name and make constant efforts to use the right pronoun, you will get to the point of embracing this young man and loving him for him.  Yes-missing that other child doesn't ever completely leave, but when you look at your son, try to remember that the core of the child has not changed.  And if no one has told you this yet, Alexander's mom, you're a good mom for trying.  You would be shocked at what some people experience at the hands of their parents.  It's heartbreaking.  I'm pulling for you!!

14 comments:

  1. This post makes me happy and sad all at the same time.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    I didn't want to make anyone sad. I've said this before and it bears repeating-if I could have my wish, I would have BOTH kids-DJ and the person I think of as her fraternal twin, JD. But JD and DJ really aren't that different. And if I HAD to choose, I would choose DJ- hands down. For me and for her. I always wanted a daughter. And I always wanted her to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to explain to me P, I'm nothing but overjoyed for DJ and for you. This post is a happy ending, the way things SHOULD be, and one that I wish more people might have the chance of knowing.

    You did good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so great, very inspiring, it made my, However it came across to mind about the period when they get into dating, how is that? I found this article How it feels to love a ladyboy girlfriend, it Might be difficult but we ll go through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I missed this Anne-so sorry!! Hope this finds you doing well :)

      Delete
  5. I am reading your blog - almost start to finish, tho I confess to be jumping around a bit. It's inspirational. My 16 year old, Jesse, has just come out to his father and me as a female in his male body. We're in the tornado of "first days". How to find the right therapist? How to make him feel completely supported? How to deal with our own reactions/junk/feelings? Reading your blog is enooooooooormously helpful. Thanks for putting all this out there! And congrats to DJ on being brave enough to become who she truly is!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous-If you and your husband are this ready to accept already, you're daughter will be a lucky girl. Probably hard to hear me refer to your child as your daughter right now, but you'll get used to it and come to treasure her. Check out the links for sources and yes-get started immediately to help your kid. I'll check in and yes-the "quiet person" is a good person to touch base with. In fact, I need to touch base with her myself.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous-try me at openarms2lgbt@gmail.com-The Author

      Delete
  6. A quiet person who wants to helpSeptember 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

    Jesse's mom,
    If you would like someone whom knows a great deal (personally) about what Jesse may have been through and may face in future, who you can talk to privately and trust to be discreet and who wants to help only you and your family, please email me. The author of this blog could give you my address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Quiet person. That would be lovely - but I'm not sure how I contact the author of this blog, other than leaving a comment here.

      I am blog challenged...

      Delete
    2. A quiet person who wants to helpSeptember 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM

      Jesse's Mom,
      Then my advice would be to start up a new email address which you can discard easily if you need to (and haven't yet) and then email your new address to

      transparenting1@gmail.com

      A name would be nice also (even if it's not yours) so I don't have to keep calling you Jesse's mom.
      Hope you're well and thank you to the blog author for letting me tie up her space here.

      Delete
  7. A quiet person who wants to helpOctober 3, 2012 at 12:40 PM

    Jesse's Mom,
    I'm not sure if you're still hanging around in these parts, but I just wanted to reiterate my offer to try and support. I understand that you most likely have a million different sources you are trying to gain an understanding from right now and the last thing you probably need or want is another to complicate your life.

    I would say this; it's not my desire to push anyone one way or another (not everything is always what at first it might appear to be), my hope is to try and help find the best course for you all.

    Something else that may or may not be helpful to you is this page.

    It isn't really directed at parents, more at individuals (so some of it will likely not be relevant, including the links), but it MAY be possible for you to relate to some of what its author writes about, on a female level despite your different life experiences.

    No matter what, you all have my very best wishes, and please remember the offer is there

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    Your article touched both my mother and I. It made her tear up actually. We appreciate you sharing your story with us. It makes my mother not feel so alone in dealing with my transition from her daughter to her now son. She is coping well especially with my fiance recently moving in and helping to push with the name and pronoun uses. She talks openly to Christopher (my fiance) and I. She really is a good mom.

    Thank you,

    Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!

    I'm working with an award-winning production company and a top-rated national cable network to cast a new documentary series that will explore unique perspectives on parenting. I enjoy your blog and I think you might be a good fit for the show. This would be a great opportunity for you to share your insight and expertise with a much larger audience.

    Over the coming weeks, we'll be conducting interviews with prospective parents and families. These interviews will largely take place via webcam, so no travel will be required. Any parents that are interested in being considered are encouraged to get in touch with me as soon as they can.

    If you are interested in being considered for the show or have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me via email or at the number below.

    Thanks!


    Tay McEvers
    Casting AP
    Punched in the Head Productions
    (718) 422-0704 x 121
    tay.mcevers@punchedinthehead.com

    ReplyDelete